Wednesday, May 27, 2009


I was thinking a light sushi dinner tonight, but somehow ended up at Firefly with my good friend Julio. Though I'm pretty full right now - some would call it a bit uncomfortable - I'm psyched to have found a place that
seems reliably good. The waitress was sweet yet assertive in her recommendations (a combination I love). I enjoyed both wines I had - a Walter Hansel Sauvignon Blanc from Russian River and a Sangiovese from Shenandoah Valley (which I just looked up to find is in West Virgina - who knew?!!) Best of all, Sunday thru Thursday they have a $35 prix fixe on three courses from anything on the menu. It's a great deal for the quality of food in this adorable restaurant (though questionable if you're going to the beach in Mexico in less than a month...)

My shrimp and scallop dumplings were perfect, except that they felt out of place on the menu. Julio's asparagus and goat cheese souffle was really light - surprisingly so - but good. The pork chop was delicious, but I was a little bit jealous of his duck with risotto (which was supposed to have morels, but he swears they were MIA). Dessert was really great, but overwhelming - I'm always a sucker for my birthday strawberry shortcake and Julio, who basically has an only chocolate rule for dessert, had a decadent chocolate and peanut butter boudin. If I hadn't been embarrassed to ask I would have brought the leftover boudin home for Lauren.

Check the place out. Firefly even made Noe Valley creep up in my SF neighborhood ranking.

No comments:

Post a Comment